- First, don’t forget your baby’s most important toy…the one thing that you know will calm them, help them sleep and keep them entertained!
- Pack enough clothes. Pack more than you need. Then pack some more. You’ll be happy that you did.
- Don’t assume you can pick up what you need when you get to your destination. What if you’re delayed by a storm or a grounded plane? Take what you need in the beginning.
- Bring snacks…and like with clothes, bring a LOT. Emergencies can happen and you may need more than you think!
- Bring the stroller…you may think that you are going to carry the baby everywhere and not have to haul the stroller around, but in the end carrying the stroller is easier than carrying the baby when you get tired!
What are some things you always carry with you when you travel with the baby?
You used to be able to visit many of our national parks during the peak season and you could enjoy the beautiful vistas without traffic jams and huge crowds. These days the popularity of national parks with not only domestic visitors but international ones as well make it challenging to visit our national gems. Even though it could require more planning, an off-season trip to a place like Yosemite National Park could be ideal. There will still be traffic but it will be so much easier to get from place to place and see all of the great vistas. Down season may mean some of the regular lodges and restaurants are closed so make sure to plan ahead! You could also plan to bring some of your own food to save money as well. The sights will be open even with the limited resources so plan for hikes and explorations…and make sure you plan for the weather! You may even find yourself the only one on a hike but sudden snow and rain could happen! If you don’t enjoy crowds, this time of year could be the best chance for you to have an experience that you will enjoy!
You may be one of those people who hates checking your luggage when you get on a flight but there are times when you absolutely have to check your luggage. This requires you to think pretty strategically about what to take on the plane with you.
Here are some of the things that you should make sure to carry on-board the plane with you!
- Money, ID and anything of significant value, such as jewelry – if the airline loses your luggage you may never see any of your valuables again!
- Medications – don’t just put what you need for a few days in your carry-on, pack it all in your bag. If you are going to need to take liquid medication or needles make sure that you have a doctor’s note!
- Electronics – no matter how careful baggage handlers are, bags still get thrown around. There is no real way to make sure that your items will stay unbroken. There is also the chance that when someone goes through your luggage, things may be stolen.
- Toiletries and a change of clothes – this will help you if your luggage does get misplaced! You will at least be able to take a shower, brush your teeth and change your clothes at your destination.
- Items to keep you and your kids entertained and comfortable – this could mean toys, books, a blanket, a special stuffed animal, slippers…whatever will make the flight more enjoyable for you! It’s especially important if you are traveling with your children. A new experience can be frightening for them and something familiar will make them more comfortable!